Home Page Link

Outdoor Burning

Recreational Fires

Within the city limits of Kent, SeaTac, Covington, Tukwila, and Maple Valley, as well as unincorporated King County (Fire Districts #37 and #43), recreational fires are allowed on your own private property and in designated locations in some public parks.

Recreational burning means cooking fires and campfires using only charcoal briquets or dry-seasoned firewood. Fires in chimineas, fire pits, and similar free-standing devices fall under this classification.

The location of open burning shall not be any less than 50 feet from structures.

Always have equipment on hand to control the fire, such as water, hose, buckets, shovel, etc.


  • Fires in approved containers that are not less than 15 feet from a structure.
  • The minimum distance from a structure shall be 25-feet where the pile size is 3 feet or less in diameter and 2 feet in height.

Permitted Burning

Puget Sound Fire allows burning twice a year (May and October) in certain areas of Fire District #37 (unincorporated King County) by fire burning permit only. Outdoor burning is allowed year round in Fire District #43 (unincorporated King County). Fire burning permits are free and can be picked up at any of our east hill fire stations or the Fire Administration office. You may also email to request a burn permit.

Burning during the months of May and October is subject to burn bans and other restrictions.

Please call Fire Administration at (253) 856-4300 if you are interested in burning, and to see if you are in an area that allows burning.

Important Links

Outdoor Burning Brochures


Fire Administration

24611 116th Avenue SE

Kent, WA 98030

Phone: (253) 856-4300