Community Relations / Public Information
The Community Relations Division’s top goals are to build community trust and show the public what our organization represents, which means directly engaging with the people we serve. Our public educators are focused on identifying and creating new opportunities for community outreach and education. These efforts result in special partnerships with the schools, businesses, civic groups, and neighborhoods we serve every day. This goes a long way toward increased fire safety awareness and preparedness.
The Community Relations Division also provides public information, social media and website management, internal branding, and organizational communications through a Public Information Officer and a Communications Specialist.
Public Information Officer (PIO)
Puget Sound Fire has a Public Information Officer on duty 24/7/365 to assist the public, media, and incident command system by:
- Helping residents and businesses affected by fire or other hazardous situations.
- Being a liaison for Red Cross or other public agencies.
- Working with news agencies at the scene of an incident or following an incident by providing interviews, updates, and media releases.
- Providing support to an incident commander as part of the command staff at an emergency scene.
In addition, the PIO also:
- Assists Emergency Management during a disaster under Emergency Support Function (ESF) 15.
- Provides a public information officer to other jurisdictions when requested.