Fire Protection System (FPS) Program
The Fire Protection System Program supports building owners of fire protection systems in complying with laws regarding the inspection, testing, and maintenance of fire protection systems. Benefits of the program include, increased probability that the system will work as installed, fewer business interruptions from preventable alarms, and better availability of emergency fire crews for true emergencies. Fire Protection System permits are used to identify the structure where fire protection systems are installed.
What is a Fire Protection System?
Approved devices, equipment, and systems or combinations of systems used to detect a fire, activate an alarm, extinguish or control a fire, control or manage smoke and products of fire or any combination thereof.
- Automatic and manual fire alarm systems
- Automatic sprinkler systems
- Chemical suppression systems (paint booths, kitchen range hoods, etc.)
- Clean agent suppression systems (computer rooms, etc.)
- Fire doors
- Emergency generators that serve life safety functions
- Smoke management systems
For more information, check out the Fire Protection System (FPS) Program FAQs.