The Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority (PSRFA) Logistics division is a fully integrated supply chain providing procurement, inventory, distribution and customer services. It is a savings center with a mission to expand regional partnerships, continuously improve and highlight fiscal transparency. In 2017, the PSFRA Logistics division began working in partnership with the Renton Regional Fire Authority Logistics Division. As a result The Western Washington Fire Logistics Group (WWFLG) was formed to foster collaboration, regional purchasing contracts and inter-agency relationships. Value is realized in cost saving; via shared warehouse space, expanded customer and courier services. In 2019, the division completed approximately 1,200 purchase orders and responded to over 2,500 requests for equipment, supplies or services.
The top strategic initiatives for PSRFA Logistics division (WWFLG) are:
- Procurement reform and centralization – modernizing procurement policies, providing transparency and centralizing purchasing functions across the organization
- Strategic decision making –becoming an active participant in creating an organizational vision for fiscal responsibility, budget planning and projections
- Workforce professionalization –promoting best business practice learned through formal training and certifications to build a best-in-industry procurement team
- ERP solutions –implementing electronic Procurement, electronic Requisitioning, Inventory control, electronic Work Orders and Asset Maintenance
- Performance measures – developing, tracking and measuring performance to create data driven policy, make informed supply chain adjustments and improve customer services
- Strategic sourcing –utilizing commodity codes to manage supply categories and identify opportunity for strategic sourcing and competitive pricing
- Contract management – improving contract process, including writing, risk assessment, management and compliance
- Regionalization – expanding relationships with agencies in the zone and developing additional cooperative procurement opportunities
We continue to participate in the King County EMS Purchasing Program which saves Puget Sound Fire an average of 30% over catalog pricing. The Logistics unit founded and participates in the Puget Sound Logistics Group. This regional group, involving seven (7) departments, completed a major wear test of firefighter turnout gear, allowing us to realize a savings of $500 per set of bunker gear.