Home Safe Home
Safety in the home is important, especially when it comes to preventing fires. When a fire strikes, your home could be engulfed in smoke, heat and flames in just a few minutes.
A home fire escape plan helps to prepare your family to think fast and get out quickly when the smoke alarms sound. When planning the family’s escape here a few simple guidelines:
- Draw a floor plan of your home. Show all doors and windows.
- Mark two ways out of each room (doors and windows).
- Mark the location of all the smoke alarms.
- Pick a family meeting place outside where everyone meets.
- Practice the plan twice a year.
Working smoke alarms save lives! Install smoke alarms in every sleeping room, in the hallway outside the sleeping area, and on every level of the home. A working smoke alarm cuts the chance of dying in a reported fire by half.
- Test the smoke alarm once a month.
- Change the batteries at least once a year.
- Replace the entire unit every ten years.
Portable fire extinguishers can save lives and property by putting out small fires. Fires grow and spreads quickly.
- Use a fire extinguisher when the fire is confined to a small area.
- Use a multi-purpose extinguisher(ABC) on all types of home fires.
- To operate an extinguisher, remember the word PASS:
Pull the Pin
Aim at the base of the fire
Squeeze the lever
Sweep the nozzle from side to side
Home Fire Safety Brochure – A brochure on home fire safety, includes a home safety checklist to download.